Savannah (William Billings)
- (Posted 2014-12-21) CPDL #33780:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-12-21). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 30 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition.
- (Posted 2014-12-21) CPDL #33782:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-12-21). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 53 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape).
Description: Published in The Singing Master's Assistant, 1778, p. 3. Words by George Whitefield, 1753, his Hymn 48.
Original text and translations
Ah! Lovely appearance of death,
No sight upon earth is so fair;
Not all the gay pageants that breathe
Can with a dead body compare.
How blest is our brother, bereft
Of all that could burden his mind.
How easy the soul that has left
This wearisome body behind!
This earth is afflicted no more
With sickness, or shaken with pain;
The war in the members is o'er,
And never shall vex him again.
No anger henceforward, or shame,
Shall redden this innocent clay;
Extinct is the animal flame,
And passion is vanished away.