Salvation unto us has come (Roger Petrich)
- Editor: Roger Petrich (submitted 2018-07-03). Score information: Letter, 8 pages, 2.61 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Description: "Es ist das Heil uns kommen her" 5 stanzas in English.
Original text and translations
1. Salvation unto us has come
by God's free grace and favor;
Good works cannot avert our doom,
they help and save us never.
Faith looks to Jesus Christ alone,
who did for all the world atone;
He is our mediator.
2. Theirs was a false, misleading dream
who thought God’s law was given
that sinners might themselves redeem
and by their works gain heaven.
The Law is but a mirror bright
to bring the inbred sin to light
that lurks within our nature.
3. And yet the law fulfilled must be,
or we were lost for ever
there for God sent his Son
that he might us from death deliver
They help and save us never.
He as the Law for us fulfilled
and thus his Father's anger stilled
Which over us impended.
4. Faith clings to Jesus' cross alone
and rests in him unceasing;
And by its fruits true faith is known,
with love and hope increasing.
For faith alone can justify,
Works serve our neighbor and supply
the proof that faith is living.
5. All blessing, honor, thanks and praise
to Father, Son, and Spirit,
The God who saved us by his grace;
all glory to his merit.
O triune God in heaven above
You have revealed your saving love;
Your blessed name be hallow.