Salva nos, Domine (Jean Mouton)
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2022-03-05). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 40 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This alternative edition is transposed a tone higher and incorporates some part swaps between the voices now designated Alto 2 and Tenor. This may be helpful because one of the lines (resolution of a canon) lies in an awkward range as originally scored, and it is more practical to share it.
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2021-07-11). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 38 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MS Capp. Sist. 38 (& I-MOd IX).
- Editor: Tim Symons (submitted 2012-09-09). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 247 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: © 2012 Gimell Records
Title: Salva nos, Domine
Composer: Jean Mouton
First published: 1520 in Motetti e canzone libro primo (Antico), no. 1
2nd published: 1540 in Selectissimae necnon familiarissimae cantiones (Salminger), no. 3
3rd published: 1542 in Musicorum sex vocum, liber primus (Adrian Willaert), no. 13
4th published: 1558 in Novum et insigne opus musicum (Berg and Neuber), Volume 1, no. 16
Manuscript 1563 in Cappella Sistina MS 38, no. 38
Description: Source: Two of the middle voices are in canon. A very brief, but worthwhile, work.
Original text and translations
Salva nos domine vigilantes
custodi nos dormientes
ut vigilemus cum Christo
et requiescamus in pace.