Salem (1803) (Oliver Holden)
- (Posted 2015-10-03) CPDL #37045:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-10-03). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 53 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1803. All three stanzas included.
- (Posted 2015-10-03) CPDL #37044:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-10-03). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 53 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). All three stanzas included.
Description: Words by an unknown author, first published in John Rippon's Selection, 1787, where attributed to [Isaac] W__[atts]. I cannot find these stanzas in any of Isaac Watts' works; neither could Music (1998).
Original text and translations
1. King of Salem, bless my soul,
Make a wounded sinner whole;
King of righteousness and peace,
Let not Thy sweet visits cease.
2. Come! refresh this soul of mine,
With thy sacred bread and wine!
All Thy love to me unfold,
Half of which can not be told.
3. Hail Melchizedek divine!
Thou great high-priest shall be mine;
All my powers before Thee fall,
Take not tithe, but take them all!
John Rippon, A Selection of Hymns From the Best Authors, 1787, Hymn 183