Redemption (Asahel Benham)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2018-05-09). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 80 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Asahel Benham's Social Harmony, 1798. Oval note edition, as written in 1798.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2018-05-09). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 3 pages, 83 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Asahel Benham's Social Harmony, 1798. Note shapes added (4-shape).
- Editor: Christopher R. Baker (submitted 2000-11-27). Copyright: CC BY 1.0
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Repository of Sacred Music, Part Second (1820), originally shape note. This is the short version of Asahel Benham's arrangement.
First published: 1798 Arranged by Asahel Benham in Social Harmony, pp. 54-56
Description: Attributed to Joseph Stephenson (1723-1810) by Karen Willard in An American Christmas Harp, 2009. Benham's arrangement was shortened (first 38 measures) by Wyeth in Repository of Sacred Music in 1820, repeated by William Walker in Southern Harmony, 1835. Walker's short version is often reproduced in American tunebooks. Words by an unknown author.
Original text and translations
Hark, hark, glad tidings charm our ears,
Our frailties long he deigned to share,