|P S A L M S — 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72|
Settings by composers
- William Bennett SATB (vv. 1-2, 7-8, English, BCP)
- Josef von Eybler SATB (v. 9, Latin, Deo for eo)
- Claude Goudimel SATB (French, metrical version by Clément Marot)
- Maurice Greene SATB (vv. 1-2,7-8, English, BCP)
- Ferdinand di Lasso SSATTB (v. 9,11, Latin, Domino for eo)
- Orlando di Lasso SSATTB (vv. 8-9. Latin)
- Jakob Heinrich Lützel SATB (German)
- Paolo Pandolfo TBB and baritone solo (Italian)
- Daniel Read SATB (v. 3 onwards, English, metrical version by Isaac Watts)
- Ludwig Rotter SATB (v. 9, Latin)
- Heinrich Schütz SATB (German, metrical version by Cornelius Becker)
- Carl Stein SATB and SATB soli (German)
Text and translations
Clementine Vulgate (Psalm 61)Latin text
1 In finem,pro Iduthun. Psalmus David.
Vulgate iuxta Hebraeos (Psalm 61 )Latin text
1 victori per Idithun canticum David
Church of England 1662 Book of Common PrayerEnglish text
To the end, for Idthun. A psalm of David.
Káldi fordítás (61. zsoltár)Hungarian translation
1 Végig, Iditunnak, Dávid zsoltára.
Metrical paraphrase by Isaac Watts, 1719
No trust in the creatures or Faith in Divine grace and power (L. M.)
1 My spirit looks to God alone;
My rock and refuge is His throne;
In all my fears, in all my straits,
My soul on His salvation waits.
2 Trust Him, ye saints, in all your ways,
Pour out your hearts before His face:
When helpers fail, and foes invade,
God is our all-sufficient aid.
3 False are the men of high degree,
The baser sort are vanity;
Laid in the balance, both appear
Light as a puff of empty air.
4 Make not increasing gold your trust,
Nor set your hearts on glittering dust
Why will you grasp the fleeting smoke,
And not believe what God has spoke?
5 Once has his awful voice declared,
Once and again my ears have heard,
"All power is His eternal due;
He must be feared and trusted too."
6 For sovereign power reigns not alone,
Grace is a partner of the throne:
Thy grace and justice, mighty Lord,
Shall well divide our last reward.