Postquam impleti sunt dies purgationis Mariae (Jhan Billon)
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2022-10-12). Score information: A4, 9 pages, 90 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The same edition, at source pitch, which may be more suitable for a modern mixed-voice choir.
- Editor: Mick Swithinbank (submitted 2022-08-26). Score information: A4, 9 pages, 88 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a fourth.
First published: 1539 (August) in Cantiones quinque vocum selectissimae (Salminger), no. 18
2nd published: 1544 in Cipriani musici liber primus, quinque vocum, no. 21
3rd published: 1549 in Primo libro de motetti a cinque voci, (Scotto, Venice), no. 5
Description: Published by Peter Schoeffer, Strasbourg, 1539 and Gardane, Venice, 1544.
Original text and translations
Postquam impleti sunt dies purgationis Mariae secundum legem Moisi,
tulerunt Jesum ut sisterent eum domino sicut scriptum est,
ecce ego mitto angelum meum, qui praeparabit viam tuam ante faciem meam,
et statim veniet ad templum sanctum suum,
dominator quem vos quaeritis,
et angelus testamenti, quem vos vultis.
And when the days of Mary's purification were completed, according to the law of Moses,
they took Jesus to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord, as it is written,
'Behold, I will send my messenger who shall prepare the way before me.
And the Lord, whom you seek, shall suddenly come to his holy temple,
- tis the angel of the covenant, in whom you delight.’
Based on Luke 2: 22-23; Malachi 3: 1 (Gospel and Lesson for Mass on the Feast of the Purification)