On a time in summer season (Robert Jones)
- (Posted 2008-12-01) CPDL #18374:
- Editor: Andreas Stenberg (submitted 2008-12-01). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 235 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Pats in score with lutepart in tabulature.
- (Posted 2008-12-01) CPDL #18375:
- Editor: Andreas Stenberg (submitted 2008-12-01). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 279 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The parts in score with lutepart transcripted to modern notation.
Title: On a time in summer season
Composer: Robert Jones
Original text and translations
On a time in summer season,
Jocky late with Jenny walking
like a lout made love with talking,
when he should be doing.
Reason still he cries,
when he should dally,
Jenny sweet, shall I, shall I.
Jocky lost his time to dally,
With a faint looke did refuse it,
With a bolde face seemed to traue it,
Who say nay when they would have it,
Jenny as most women use it,
Still he cries, sweete shall I, shall I.
She who knew that backward dealing,
was a foe to forwardlonging,
To avoide her owne hearts wronging,
with a sigh loves sute revealing,
said Jocky sweet when you would dally,
Doe you cry sweet, shall I, shall I.
Jocky knew by her replying,
That a no is I in wooing,
That an asking without doing,
Is the way to loves denying.
Now he knowes when he would dally,
How to spare sweet shall I, shall I.