O strength and stay (John Bacchus Dykes)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-10-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 99 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-10-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 43 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-28). Score information: A4, 1 page, 18 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This version has the original harmonies. There is a simplified version in Hymns Ancient & Modern, Revised.
Title: O strength and stay (tune STRENGTH AND STAY)
Composer: John Bacchus Dykes
Tune: Strength and stay
Lyricist: St. Ambrose
- Translation by John Ellerton and Fenton John Anthony Hort
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 11 10. 11 10
Instruments: A cappella or keyboard
2nd published: 1983 in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard, no. 7
Original text and translations
O strength and stay upholding all creation,
Who ever dost thyself unmoved abide,
Yet day by day the light in due gradation
From hour to hour through all its changes guide;
Grant to life's day a calm unclouded ending,
An eve untouched by shadows of decay,
The brightness of a holy death-bed blending
With dawning glories of th’eternal day.
Hear us, O Father, gracious and forgiving,
Through Jesus Christ thy co-eternal Word,
Who with the Holy Ghost by all things living
Now and to endless ages art adored.