- (Posted 2009-12-26) CPDL #20695:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2009-12-26). Score information: A4, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Revised files uploaded 24/11/16.
- (Posted 2007-11-15) CPDL #15425:
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-15). Score information: A4, 1 page, 25 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: SATB version from the Cyber Hymnal™
Title: O God, the Son eternal
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Tune: St Michael New
Lyricists: Reginald Heber and John Keble
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 10 10. 66. 10
Instruments: A cappella or keyboard
First published: 1872 in The European Psalmist
Description: Heber's lyrics were published posthumously in his Hymns, 1837, p. 133.
Original text and translations
1 O God the Son eternal, thy dread might
Sent forth Saint Michael and the hosts of heaven,
And from the realms of light,
Cast down in burning fight
Satan's rebellious hosts, to darkness given.
2 Thine angels, Lord, we bless with thankful lays,
Dwelling with thee above yon depths of sky;
Who, 'mid thy glory's blaze,
Heaven's ceaseless anthems raise,
And gird thy throne in faithful ministry.
3 We celebrate their love, whose viewless wing
Hath left for us so oft their mansion high,
The mercies of their King
To mortal saints to bring,
Or guard the couch of slumbering infancy.
4 But thee, the first and last, we glorify,
Who, when thy world was sunk in death and sin,
Not with thine hierarchy,
The armies of the sky,
But didst with thine own arm the battle win.
5 Therefore with angels and archangels we
To thy dear love our thankful chorus raise,
And tune our songs to thee,
Who art, and art to be;
And, endless as thy mercies, sound thy praise.