Now blessed be Thou, Christ Jesu, BWV 314 (Johann Sebastian Bach)
- Editor: Christopher R. Baker (submitted 2000-11-27). Copyright: CC BY 1.0
- Edition notes: SATB, English text
Title: Now Blessed be Thou, Christ Jesu
Arranger: Johann Sebastian Bach
Lyricist: Miles Coverdalecreate page
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Chorale, Carol
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1524 in Wittenberg
2nd published: 1787 in Vierstimmige Choralgesänge, Teil 4, no. 287
3rd published: 1892 in Bach-Gesellschaft Ausgabe, Band 39
4th published: 1898 in 389 Choralgesänge, no. 107
Opus: BWV 314
Description: English translation on a SATB harmonization by Bach (#61 of 185 Bach Chorales (Johann Sebastian Bach)). See Gelobet seist du Jesu Christ, BWV 314 for Bach's harmonization with German lyrics.
- For total or partial usage of this text in Bach's works, see bach-cantatas.com
Original text and translations
1. Now blessed be Thou, Christ Jesu;
Thou are man borne, this is true:
The aungels made a mery noyse,
Yet have we more cause to rejoyse.
2. The blessed Sonne of God onely
In a cryybe full poore dyd lye:
With oure poore flesh and oure blounde
Was clothed that everlastynge good.
3. He that made heaven and earth of nought
In our flesh hath oure health brought;
For oure sake made He hymselfe full small;
That reigneth Lorde and Kynge over all.
4. Eternall lyght doth now appeare
To the worlde both farre and neare;
It shyneth full clear even at mydnight,
Makynge us chyldren of His Lyght.
5. The Lord Christ Jesu, Godd's Sonne deare,
Was a gest and a straunger here;
Us for to brynge from mysery,
That we might lyve eternally,
6. Into this worlde ryght poore came He,
To make us ryche in mercye:
Therefore wolde He oure synnes forgeve,
That we with Hym in heaven myght lyve.
7. All this dyd He for us frely,
For to declare His great mercy:
All Christendome be mery therfore,
And geve Hym thankes evermore.