Mary's Tears (Oliver Shaw)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2019-11-28). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 52 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Transcribed from a separate publication. Four stanzas included, as in 1817.
First published: 1817 in a separate by Oliver Shaw, Providence
Description: "Sung at the oratorio performed by the Handel and Haydn Society in Boston, July 5, 1817, in presence of the President of the United States [James Monroe]." Words by Thomas Moore, 1816, with five stanzas. Shaw quoted stanzas 1, 2, 3, and 5 in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. Were not the sinful Mary's tears
3. And wiped them wilh that golden hair,
5. Thou that hast slept in errors sleep,