Magnificat (Wytze Oostenbrug)
- Editor: Wytze Oostenbrug (submitted 2021-06-11). Score information: A4, 30 pages, 705 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This edition is for mixed choir SATB and organ accompaniment.
- Editor: Wytze Oostenbrug (submitted 2021-06-11). Score information: A4, 54 pages, 2.64 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This edition is for mixed choir and string ensemble (2vl,vla,cl,cb).
First published: 2020
Description: I wanted to write a piece in which the choir can be heard in different ways. Sometimes in single voices, sometimes in two voices, in broad, appealing melodies. The accompaniment is purely supportive. In addition, the text sometimes calls for more dynamism or movement, as in the opening words Magnificat, the Fecit potentiam and Deposuit, and the Gloria and final Amen. The 10 lines of the text are summarized here in 4 parts according to atmosphere and content. Each line consists of a introduction and a conclusion (pastor and people), which are often set with their own colour. Melodic twists of the Phrygian and Lydian modes are used. The piece is set for SATB choir and organ with pedal. There is now also a version with accompaniment for string quintet or string orchestra. Other accompaniments are conceivable.
The work is commissioned by Vocaal Ensemble Animato in Capelle a/d IJssel (Netherlands) to be performed by occasion of their 25th anniversary.
- electronic sound with organ: https://youtu.be/nLZ02Vy1Wwg
- electronic sound with strings: https://youtu.be/Mb86Zj6BH2o
- Vocaal Ensemble Animato: http://www.vocaalensemble-animato.nl/
Original text and translations
Magnificat anima mea Dominus,
Groot maakt mijn ziel de Heer,