Like as the doleful dove (Thomas Tallis)
- (Posted 2019-02-21) CPDL #53354:
- Editor: Jason Smart (submitted 2019-02-21). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 275 kB Copyright: CC BY NC ND
- Edition notes: Vocal parts reconstructed from the keyboard arrangement in London, British Library, Add. MS 30513 (the 'Mulliner Book'). Original pitch and note values retained. A critical commentary is appended to the score.
- (Posted 2009-04-18) CPDL #19302:
- Editor: Michael Gibson (submitted 2009-04-18). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 115 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed up by 2 semitones. Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score.
Title: Like as the doleful dove
Composer: Thomas Tallis
Description: This partsong now survives only in a keyboard arrangement in London, British Library Add. MS 30513 (the 'Mulliner Book'). Fortunately Mulliner's arrangement preserves all four voices complete, although one short passage appears to be corrupt. The text, identified by title only, is easily restorable from the 1578 edition of Richard Edwards (ed.),'The Paradyse of daynty devises'.
Original text and translations
Like as the doleful dove delights alone to be,
Tout comme la triste tourterelle trouve plaisir en la solitude,