Alias: Lambert Courtoys Sr.
Born: c. 1520 in France
Died: after 1583
Naturalized citizen of Dubrovnik, Lambert Courtoys from France worked and lived in Dubrovnik 1554-1570, and then moved to Udine. He is author of first preserved music pieces by a musician active in Dubrovnik. His grandson Lambert Courtoys jr. wrote the first known opera in Croatia, that was performed in Dubrovnik in 1629.
The professionalization of music in Dubrovnik owes much to the members of the Franco-Flemish Courtoys family: Lambert Sr., Henrik and Lamber jr. Lamber Courtoys senior's collection Madrigali a cinque (Venice 1580) devoted to a number of Dubrovnik noblemen, as well as some of his other compositions published in anthologies of that time testify to the high performance level that existed in Dubrovnik.
View the Wikipedia article on Lambert Courtois.
List of choral works
- There are no scores available at this time. Please click here to add a new edition, or here for help.
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Madrigali a cinque (Venice 1580)
- Musica spirituale, libro primo (1563), ed. Katherine Powers (Recent Researches in the Music of the Renaissance 127), A-R Editions, Middletown, Visconsin 2001
- Šest duhovnih madrigala i instrumentalna skladba "Petit Jacquet", Bašćinski glasi 4 (1995)
- Rasprave i prilozi iz stare hrvatske glazbene prošlosti s bibliografijom, ed. Marko Babić, Glas Koncila, Zagreb 2007, 727-762