La Carpe (Francis Poulenc)
- (Posted 2008-07-29) CPDL #17751:
- Contributor: David Newman (submitted 2008-07-29). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 67 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Edition in E minor. The edition from which these songs were taken had English words above the staff, and German words below the French. Both the German and English translations were removed for Art Song Central, under the assumption that our users would want to sing the original French, and thus removing a distraction and leaving extra room to write in IPA and/or a literal translation.
First published: 1920
Description: Number 6 in the song cycle "Le Bestiaire (ou Cortège d’Orphée)" published in 1920 by French music publisher "Editions Max Eschig" and is Copyright 1920 by Les Editions de La Sirène.
Note: This "song cycle" of miniature songs was written early in Poulenc's career. It is perhaps an extreme case of the disparity between US Copyright law and that of countries which base their copyrights on death dates. Users outside the US should be especially cautious to consult the laws of their own country before downloading these songs.
- Entry at "Art Song Central" for this song cycle
- English translation at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page"
Original text and translations
Dans vos viviers, dans vos étangs,
Carpes, que vous vivez longtemps!
Est-ce que la mort vous oublie,
Poissons de la mélancolie?