Joseph Stephenson was a composer of parochial psalmody (West Gallery music) and clerk of the Unitarian congregation at the Hill Street meeting house in Poole. His first book, Church Harmony Sacred to Devotion (first edition 1757) included a commendatory letter of review from William Knapp, who was the parish clerk of St James' Church, Poole and an established composer.
View the Wikipedia article on Joseph Stephenson.
List of choral works
Metrical psalms, hymns and carols
Arrangements of Stephenson's works by other composers
- Hark, hark, glad tidings charm our ears (arr. Asahel Benham)
- Hosanna to the prince of light (arr. Thomas Jarman)
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Church Harmony Sacred to Devotion, first edition 1757 (no known extant copies); third edition 1759; fourth edition c1763-1771
- An Anthem taken out of the 44 Chap. of Isaiah, 1758
- A new Loyal Health to the Prince, Duke, and the Heroic King of Prussia, 1758
- The Musical Companion, 1771
add web links here