I am the resurrection and the life (Thomas Morley)
- (Posted 2012-03-31) CPDL #25836:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-03-31). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 93 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: A reformatting of #405, with minor changes to the underlay. Revised files uploaded 22/02/18.
- (Posted 1999-10-26) CPDL #00405:
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 1999-10-26). Score information: Letter, 9 pages, 408 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: broken link fixed (Feb. 27, 2002).
Title: First Dirge Anthem (Funeral Sentences)
Composer: Thomas Morley
Original text and translations
I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord:
he that believeth in me,
yea, though he were dead,
yet shall he live.
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me
shall never die.
I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.
And though after my skin, worms destroy this body,
yet in my flesh shall I see God:
whom I shall see for myself
and mine eyes shall behold,
and not another.
We brought nothing into this world,
and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away.
blessed be the name of the Lord.