- (Posted 2016-11-23) CPDL #42008:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-23). Score information: A4, 1 page, 27 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- (Posted 2007-11-13) CPDL #15397:
- Contributor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-13). Score information: A4, 1 page, 21 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: SATB version in English from the Cyber Hymnal™ - File Sizes: PDF: 21 KB, MIDI: 2 KB, NoteWorthy Composer: 1 KB
Title: Hallelujah! raise, O raise
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Lyricist: Josiah Conder
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 77. 77
First published: 1854 in The Cleveland Psalter, by Archdeacon Churton
Original text and translations
1 Hallelujah! raise, O raise
To our God the song of praise;
All His servants join to sing
God our Saviour and our King.
2 Blessèd be for evermore
That dread Name which we adore;
Round the world His praise be sung
Through all lands, in every tongue.
3 O’er all nations God alone,
Higher than the heav’ns His throne;
Who is like to God most high,
Infinite in majesty!
4 Yet to view the heav’ns He bends;
Yea, to earth He condescends;
Passing by the rich and great,
For the low and desolate.
5 He can raise the poor to stand
With the princes of the land;
Wealth upon the needy shower;
Set him with the high in power.
6 He the broken spirit cheers:
Turns to joy the mourner’s tears;
Such the wonders of His ways;
Praise His Name, forever praise!