Gospel Trumpet (James P. Carrell)
- (Posted 2017-02-07) CPDL #43021:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-02-07). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 50 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note heads converted to oval shapes. Two more pairs of stanzas included.
- (Posted 2017-02-07) CPDL #43019:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-02-07). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 2 pages, 94 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note heads in shapenote format (4-shape), as originally published in 1821. Two more pairs of stanzas included.
Description: Different music (melody and parts) from settings of same words by many other composers, David Music (2005) documented over 25 printings of different settings of these words between 1799 and 1850. Although he apparently didn't know of Carrell's version, none of his six different tune groups resemble Carrell's treatment. Strangely, Virginia Harmony, an 1831 tunebook co-edited by Carrell, has a two-part setting in A major, totally different from Carrell's 1821 setting.
Words by an unknown author, apparently first published in England in 1789 (Music 2005). Carrell used the first two stanzas of the 1789 version of the words.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Gospel Trumpet.