Not to be confused with Giovanni Valentini (ii) (c. 1750 – 1804)
Born: Venice, 1582/83?
Died: Vienna, night of 29-30 April 1649
Valentini, "a Venetian of the famous school of the Gabrielis" (presumably Giovanni) was organist to Zygmunt III of Poland from 1604 or 1605, and at the court at Graz in 1614, moving to Vienna when the Archduke was crowned Emperor Ferdinand II in 1619. Valentini found favor under Ferdinand III as well and taught Johann Caspar Kerll.
View the Wikipedia article on Giovanni Valentini.
List of choral works
- Benedicam Dominum
- Deus misereatur nostri
- Missa Diligam te Domine
- Missa Susanna
- O dulcis amor
- O Maria quid ploras
- Vulnerasti cor meum
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Canzoni, libro primo, 3, 5, 6, 8vv (1609)
- Motecta, 4–6vv (1611)
- Secondo libro de madrigali, 4–5, 8–11vv, bc (1616)
- Missae concertatae, 4, 6, 8vv, bc (1617)
- Salmi, hinni, Magnificat, antifone, falsibordone et motetti, 1–4vv, bc (1618)
- Musiche concertate, 6–10vv, bc (1619)
- Musica di camera, libro quarto, 1–6vv, bc (1621)
- Missae quatuor, 8, 12vv, bc ad lib (1621)
- Messa, Magnificat et Jubilate Deo, 7 choirs, tpts (Vienna, 1621)
- Musiche, 2vv (1622)
- Il quinto libro de madrigali, 3, 6vv, bc (1625)
- Sacri concerti, 2–5vv, bc (1625)
A number of additional works are in mss. and anthologies.