Aliases: Freimund Raimar
Born: 16 May 1788
Died: 31 January 1866
Friedrich Rückert was a German poet, translator, and professor of Oriental languages. When Rückert began his literary career, Germany was engaged in her life-and-death struggle with Napoleon; and in his first volume, Deutsche Gedichte (German Poems), published in 1814 under the pseudonym Freimund Raimar, he gave, particularly in the powerful Geharnischte Sonette (Sonnets in Arms/Harsh Words), vigorous expression to the prevailing sentiment of his countrymen.
Rückert was master of thirty languages and made his mark chiefly as a translator of Oriental poetry and as a writer of poems conceived in the spirit of Oriental masters.
Rückert's poetry was a powerful inspiration to composers and there are about 121 settings of his work — behind only Goethe, Heine and Rilke in this respect. Among the composers who set his poetry to music are Schubert, Robert and Clara Schumann, Brahms, Mahler, Richard Strauss, Zemlinsky, Hindemith, Bartók, Berg, Hugo Wolf and Heinrich Kaspar Schmid.
View the Wikipedia article on Friedrich Rückert.
Settings of text by Friedrich Rückert
- Abendfriede (Josef Rheinberger)
- Der alte Barbarossa (Friedrich Silcher)
- An die Sterne, Op. 141, No. 1 (Robert Schumann)
- Aus der Jugendzeit (Moritz Hauptmann)
- Aus der Jugendzeit (Robert Radecke)
- Du bist die Ruh (Franz Schubert)
- Du, Herr, der alles wohl gemacht (Moritz Hauptmann)
- Fahr wohl, du goldne Sonne (Ludwig van Beethoven)
- Fahr wohl, Op. 93a, No. 4 (Johannes Brahms)
- Die grünen Sommervögel (Joseph Gersbach)
- Gute Nacht, Op. 59, No. 4 (Robert Schumann)
- In Meeres Mitten, Op. 91, No. 6 (Robert Schumann)
- Komm, verhüllte Schöne (Moritz Hauptmann)
- Maientanz (Johannes Dürrner)
- Morgengesang (Niels Wilhelm Gade)
- Nachtwache I, Op. 104, No. 1 (Johannes Brahms)
- Nachtwache II, Op. 104, No. 2 (Johannes Brahms)
- Die Rose stand im Tau, Op. 65, No. 1 (Robert Schumann)
- Schneeglöckchen (Johannes Dürrner)
- Sommerlied, Op. 146 No. 4 (Robert Schumann)
- Wenn ich früh in den Garten (Robert Schumann)
- Widmung (Robert Schumann)
- Wunderbar ist mir geschehn (Moritz Hauptmann)
- Zürne nicht des Herbstes Wind (Robert Schumann)
add web links here