Fair is the rose (Orlando Gibbons)
- (Posted 2017-10-30) CPDL #47125:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-10-30). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 76 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #30682, with parts in original form, transposed down a minor 3rd for SATTB.
- (Posted 2013-12-02) CPDL #30682: (Finale 2004)
- Editor: Willem Verkaik (submitted 2013-12-02). Score information: A4, 10 pages, 158 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Measures 20-22 have been exchanged between S2 and A to allow a better range of modern singers. The original key (d) has been maintained.
Title: Fair is the rose
Composer: Orlando Gibbons
Original text and translations
Fair is the rose, yet fades with heat or cold.
Sweet are the violets, yet soon grow old.
The lily is white, yet in one day 'tis done.
White is the snow, yet melts against the sun.
So white, so sweet was my fair mistress' face,
Yet altered quite in one short hour's space.
So short-lived beauty a vain gloss doth borrow,
Breathing delight today, but none tomorrow.