Ecce quomodo moritur justus (Jacob Handl)
- Editor: Nikolaus Hold (submitted 2022-11-23). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 50 kB Copyright: CC BY NC
- Edition notes: Arrangement for German text; see the edition notes at the end of the 2nd page. An attempt was made to bring the piece closer to Handl's original in terms of rests.
- Arranger: Johann Michael Anding
- Editor: Aristotle Aure Esguerra (submitted 2018-08-02). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 207 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Transcribed from 1587 print; lowered P4; range indicators added; note values halved.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-12-17). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 47 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Musica Divina Vol. IV (ed. Karl Proske, 1863). Original key and note values. Revised files uploaded 24/10/17.
- Editor: Fernando Gómez Jácome (submitted 2004-07-03). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 92 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Transcribed from Musici Operis, Secundus Tomus, nº 13 (Praha, 1587).
- Editor: Abel Di Marco (submitted 2002-09-07). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 17.85 MB Copyright: Religious
- Edition notes: alphabetized by title. Transposed down a minor 2nd. Note values halved.
- Editor: Rafael Ornes (submitted 1999-06-16). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 57 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a major 2nd. Note values halved.
Title: Ecce quomodo moritur justus
Composer: Jacob Handl
Source of text: Isaiah 57, 1-2 (parts)
First published: 1587 in Opus musicum, Volume 2, no. 13
2nd published: 1603 in Florilegium selectissimarum cantionum, no. 64
3rd published: 1618 in Florilegium Portense, Volume 1, no. 64
4th published: 1648 in Cantionale Sacrum III, no. 31
5th published: 1682 in Neu Leipziger Gesangbuch (Gottfried Vopelius), p. 263
6th published: 1844 in Recueil des morceaux de musique ancienne, Volume 6, no. 69
7th published: 1863 in Musica Divina Vol. IV (Carl Proske), p. 151
8th published: 1868 in Vierstimmiges Choralbuch (Johann Michael Anding), no. 69
9th published: 1906 in Volksliederbuch für Männerchor, no. 24
10th published: 1907 in Sammlung ausgezeichneter Kompositionen für die Kirche, no. 3.19
11th published: 1915 in Volksliederbuch für gemischten Chor, no. 26
12th published: 1923 in Chorbuch des „Sängerhain“ 1923- (Ernst Dahlke), p. 321
13th published: 1977 in The Chester Book of Motets, Book 4, no. 4
Description: 6th of the responsories for Holy Saturday.
In Bach's Leipzig this motet was sung at Good Friday vespers, following the Passion and before the final collect & benediction. It is quoted in movement 9 of Handel's Funeral Anthem for Queen Caroline, HWV 264.
Anding did not use rests in the arrangement of Handl's composition but placed each line of text between bar lines - or rather caesura lines - which here take the place of fermatas; see picture above. He thus deviates completely from Handl's original, in which the rests are used as usual; see image below.
- ed. with original clefs at IMSLP
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Ecce quomodo moritur.