Die not before thy day (John Dowland)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-04-09). Score information: A4, 1 page, 17 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #2150 into score format.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2008-05-06). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 32 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: On external site, listed alphabetically by title under the heading "The Second Book of Songs or Ayres".
- Editor: Laura Conrad (submitted 2001-03-01). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 62 kB Copyright: GnuGPL
- Edition notes: partbook format, vocal parts, no lute part.
Title: Die not before thy day
Composer: John Dowland
Original text and translations
Die not before thy day, poor man condemned,
But lift thy low looks from the humble earth,
kiss not despair and see sweet hope condemned:
The hag hath no delight, but moan for mirth,
O fie poor fondling, O fie poor fondling,
fie, be willing to preserve thyself from killing:
Hope thy keeper glad to free thee,
Bids thee go and will not see thee,
hie thee quickly from thy wrong,
so she ends her willing song.