Days and moments quickly flying (John Bacchus Dykes)
- (Posted 2010-08-23) CPDL #22177:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-23). Score information: A4, 1 page, 18 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the Church Hymnary, 1927.
Original text and translations
1. Days and moments quickly flying
blend the living with the dead:
Soon our bodies will be lying
Each within its narrow bed.
2. Jesus, infinite Redeemer,
Maker of this mighty frame,
Teach, O teach us to remember
What we are, and whence we came.
3. As a shadow life is fleeting,
As a vapour, so it flies,
For the bygone years retreating,
Pardon grant, and make us wise,
4. Wise that we our days may number,
Strive and wrestle with our sin,
Stay not in our work, nor slumber,
Till Thy holy rest we win.
5. Jesus, merciful Redeemer,
Rouse dead souls to hear Thy voice;
Wake, O wake each idle dreamer
Now to make th'eternal choice.
6. Soon before the Judge all glorious
We with all the dead shall stand;
Saviour, over death victorious,
Place us then at Thy right hand.