Come, Holy Ghost (William Boyce)
- (Posted 2009-04-17) CPDL #19198: (choir/continuo) (continuo/figured bass) (cello)
- Editor: Anthony Patriarche (submitted 2009-04-10). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 66 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Vocal parts plus continuo and cello
- (Posted 2009-04-17) CPDL #19197:
- Editor: Anthony Patriarche (submitted 2009-04-10). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 43 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Vocal parts only
- Musicus Arbutus, edition copyright © 2009 D. Anthony Patriarche. Not previously published. Permission granted for users to download, print and distribute the score freely under terms of the CPDL license. All other rights reserved. Public performance free for church choirs, otherwise under the auspices of SOCAN and ASCAP.
Note: Facsimile of composer's MS made available by courtesy of The Bodleian Library, Oxford.
Description: Anthem for Pentecost or occasional use. Prepared from the composer's original MS. May be performed a cappella or with continuo (harpsichord or organ with cello or bass viol). The composer's figured bass is included, together with a simple realization by the editor.
Original text and translations
Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire
And warm them with thy heav'nly fire.
Thou who th'anointing Spirit art,
To us thy Sev'nfold gifts impart.
Let thy blest Unction from above
Be to us comfort, Life and Love.
Enable with Celestial light
The weakness of our mortal sight.
Anoint and cheer our hearts, our face,
with the abundance of thy Grace.
Keep far our Foes, give Peace at home,
Where thou dost dwell no ill can come.
Teach us to know the Father, Son,
and Spirit of both, to be but one,
That so through Ages all along
This may be our triumphant Song:
In Thee, O Lord, we make our boast,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Editor's note: Spelling and capitalization are Boyce's own.