Chesterfield (Amos Pilsbury)
- (Posted 2018-01-10) CPDL #48355:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2018-01-10). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 78 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Several editorial note changes. Four stanzas included.
- (Posted 2018-01-10) CPDL #48354:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2018-01-10). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 75 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Four stanzas included.
Description: First published by Amos Pilsbury in 1799, but not attributed to anyone by him. Not cited in Jackson (1933, 1952, 1953ab). The words have often been printed in Methodist hymn books, but cannot be traced to John or Charles Wesley. They have also been identified with Emanuel Swedenborg. Not cited in John Julian's Dictionary of Hymnology (1907). Creamer, in Methodist Hymnology (1848), says author is unknown.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at In boundless mercy, gracious Lord, appear.