Category talk:Sacred music
- Hi Richard. I've fixed it ... the categorization needed a sortkey. – Chucktalk Giffen♫ 14:45, 23 March 2010 (UTC)
Cleanup of subcategories
A number of questions and proposals have been posted to the forum page. In reverse order:
1. Some category names are Book of Common Prayer-centric; this partly reflects our contributors but also is dictated by part of the repertory. Evening Canticles includes both the Vesper Canticle Magnificat and the Compline Canticle Nunc dimittis as well as paired settings of both Evensong Canticles. I've tried sorting this out a bit at the textpage Nunc dimittis, but it may be that extra subcategories could do this better.
3. I don't think Ave Maria belongs to "Preces" in the precise Anglican Communion sense.
4. Help in spotting Mass Propers in Category:Responsories would appreciated. I see responsories that are used for processions at funeral, Ash Wednesday and Holy Week Masses, and noticed the category is not defined to exclude Graduals (might well be a good idea), but I don't see which ones might have slipped through.
5. The sacred/profane fork seems deeply embedded in CPDL's structure, but it would be nice to combine 'sacred canons' and 'secular canons' somehow…
As to the proposals: 6. Category talk:Laments touches on this fork as well. There's a source of confusion if one tries to draw a line between Tenebrae music and Lamentations, it seems to me.
8. Requiems and Burial services are quite specific rites. It might well be worthwhile to distinguish Lutheran, Masonic and other historical orders of service, or have a parent category that could include 'other'. Richard Mix (talk) 02:45, 4 March 2015 (UTC)