Blessed city, heavenly Salem (Caspar Ett)
- CPDL #63057: (Posted 2021-02-19)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-02-19). Score information: A4, 1 page, 41 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- CPDL #63056: (Posted 2021-02-19)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-02-19). Score information: A4, 1 page, 71 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
Title: Blessed city, heavenly Salem
Composer: Caspar Ett
- Translation by John Mason Neale
Description: Text translated from the Latin by John Mason Neale. For a descant, see Blessed city, heavenly Salem (Alan Gray).
External websites: https://embassysingers.de/scores/descants.html
Original text and translations
Blessèd city, heavenly Salem,
vision dear of peace and love,
who of living stones art builded
in the height of heaven above,
and by angel hosts encircled
as a bride dost earthward move!
Christ is made the sure foundation,
Christ the head and corner-stone,
chosen of the Lord, and precious,
binding all the Church in one,
holy Sion’s help for ever,
and her confidence alone.
To this temple, where we call thee,
come, O Lord of hosts, to-day;
with thy wonted loving-kindness
hear thy servants as they pray;
and thy fullest benediction
shed within its walls alway.
Here vouchsafe to all thy servants
what they ask of thee to gain,
what they gain from thee for ever
with the blessèd to retain,
and hereafter in thy glory
evermore with thee to reign.