Benigne fac, Domine (William Byrd)
- (Posted 2023-03-11) CPDL #72996: Original pitch and note values retained:
- (Posted 2020-03-05) CPDL #57377: Note values halved. Transposed down a tone to compensate for the high clef configuration:
- Editor: Jason Smart (submitted 2023-03-11). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 380 kB Copyright: CC BY NC ND
- Edition notes: Revised editions March 2023. Edited from the surviving Tudor sources. A critical commentary is appended to the score.
- Editor: Michael Winter (submitted 2020-10-16). Score information: A4, 9 pages, 676 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Identical to #60898 but transposed down a fourth to account for high clefs.
- Editor: Michael Winter (submitted 2020-10-16). Score information: A4, 9 pages, 238 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original note values, original pitch. Tenor part has been editorially supplied.
Title: Benigne fac, Domine
Composer: William Byrd
Number of voices: 5vv Voicing: SATTB
Genre: Sacred, Motet
Instruments: A cappella
Manuscript ca. 1575 in The Baldwin Partbooks, no. 36
Description: A motet that Byrd did not publish in his lifetime. A setting of Psalm 50 (Book of Common Prayer Ps.51), v.18.
Original text and translations
Benigne fac, Domine, in bona voluntate tua Sion,
ut aedificentur muri Jerusalem.