Awake Glad Heart (Geoff Allan)
- Editor: Geoff Allan (submitted 2023-01-16). Score information: A4, 16 pages, 542 kB Copyright: Personal
- The mp3 (piano accomp. and YouTube (ensemble acomp.) versions use "Voices of Prague", "Soloists of Prague" and "Garritan Personal Orchestra" and hopefully will give you an impresssion of a performance.
- Edition notes:
First published: 2023
Description: Carol written over the Christmas Holiday period 2022.
- YouTube Score Video https://youtu.be/Hq_2FoH4jCs
- Composers Website http://allans.org.uk (follow composer and conductor link
Original text and translations
1. Awake, glad heart! get up and sing!
It is the birthday of thy King.
The sun doth shake
Light from his locks, and all the way
Breathing perfumes, doth spice the day.
2. Awake! awake! hark how th' wood rings,
Winds whisper, and the busy springs
A concert make.
Man is their high priest, and should rise
To offer up the sacrifice.
3. I would I were some bird, or star,
Fluttering in woods, or lifted far
Above this inn
And road of sin;
Then either star or bird should be
Shining or singing still to Thee.
4. I would I had in my best part
Fit rooms for Thee! or that my heart
Were so clean as
Thy manger was!
But let once more, by mystic birth,
The Lord of life be born on earth.