Ave verum corpus, a 5 (Josquin des Prez)
- Original key
- Editor: Charles H. Giffen (submitted 2011-01-06). Score information: Letter, 13 pages, 171 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Minimal editorial additions restricted to inserting a missing note and missing rests from the source. Discantus (top) part lies a little low for most sopranos, and the work is better suited to AATTB voicing. Revised/new files uploaded 2022-03-31.
- Transposed edition (up a whole tone)
- Editor: Charles H. Giffen (submitted 2013-08-26). Score information: Letter, 13 pages, 170 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed up a whole tone from the original. Minimal editorial additions restricted to inserting a missing note and missing rests from the source. Revised files uploaded 2022-03-31.
Title: Ave verum corpus, á 5
Composer: Josquin des Prez
First published: 1545 in Concentus octo, sex, quinque et quatuor vocum (Sigmund Salminger), no. 10
2nd published: 1568 in Cantiones Triginta Selectissimae (Clemens Stephani), no. 26
Description: This motet is in three parts. The fifth voice (Altera vox) throughout is a canon at a perfect fifth above the Tenor part, following at three breves, two breves, and one breve in the first, second, and third parts, respectively.
- YouTube performance by Studio de musique ancienne de Montréal
- Scrolling score (using this edition) performance by Ensemble Jachet de Mantoue
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Ave verum corpus.