Aspiring Praise (Oliver Holden)
- (Posted 2015-03-26) CPDL #34889:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-03-26). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 57 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. The other five stanzas of Cowper's hymn added below.
- (Posted 2015-03-26) CPDL #34890:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-03-26). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 71 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other five stanzas of Cowper's hymn added below.
Description: Words by William Cowper, 1779, Hymn 38 of Book 2, entitled Jehovah - Jesus.
Original text and translations
Hymn 38, by William Cowper. Jehovah - Jesus
My song shall bless the Lord of all,
My praise shall climb to His abode;
Thee, Savior, by that name I call
The great Supreme, the mighty God.
Without beginning or decline,
Object of faith, and not of sense,
Eternal ages saw Him shine,
He shines eternal ages hence.
As much, when in the manger laid,
Almighty Ruler of the sky;
As when the six days' work He made,
Filled all the morning stars with joy.
Of all the crowns Jehovah bears,
Salvation is His dearest claim;
That gracious sound well-pleased He hears
And owns Emmanuel for His name.
A cheerful confidence I feel,
My well-placed hopes with joy I see;
My bosom glows with heavenly zeal,
To worship Him who died for me.
As man, He pities my complaint,
His pow'r and truth are all divine;
He will not fail, He cannot faint,
Salvation's sure, and must be mine.