Ascendis (Christopher Upton)
- (Posted 2012-06-04) CPDL #26418:
- Editor: Christopher Upton (submitted 2012-06-04). Score information: A4, 1 page, 31 kB Copyright: CC BY NC SA
- Edition notes: Without words.
- (Posted 2012-06-04) CPDL #26417:
- Editor: Christopher Upton (submitted 2012-06-04). Score information: A4, 1 page, 58 kB Copyright: CC BY NC SA
- Edition notes: With the words, Thou art gone up on high.
First published: 2009
Description: Hymn tune set to Thou art gone up on high.
Original text and translations
Thou art gone up on high, to mansions in the skies;
And round Thy throne unceasingly the songs of praise arise;
But we are lingering here, with sin and care oppressed;
Lord, send Thy promised Comforter, and lead us to Thy rest.
Thou art gone up on high; but Thou didst first come down,
Through earth’s most bitter misery to pass unto Thy crown;
And girt with griefs and fears our onward course must be;
But only let this path of tears lead us at last to Thee.
Thou art gone up on high; but Thou shalt come again,
With all the bright ones of the sky attendant in Thy train.
Lord, by Thy saving power so make us live and die,
That we may stand in that dread hour at Thy right hand on high.