Alpha (Oliver Holden)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-07-20). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 56 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as revised in 1796. The other two stanzas of Hervey's poem added below.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-07-20). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 56 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Version revised by Holden, 1796. The other two stanzas from Hervey's poem added below.
First published: 1792 in The Worcester Collection, for three parts (Treble-Tenor-Bass), Edition 4, p. 16
2nd published: 1797 in The Worcester Collection, extensively revised by Holden to include a fourth part (Counter), Edition 6
Description: Words by James Hervey, 1746.
Original text and translations
1. When faith presents the Savior's death
And whispers, this is thine,
Sweetly my rising hours advance,
And peacefully decline.
2. Let outward things go how they will,
On Thee I cast my care;
But let me reign with Thee in heaven,
Though most unworthy here.
3. Faith in Thy love shall sweeten death,
And smooth the rugged way;
Smile on me, dearest Lord, and then
I shall not wish to stay.