Almighty God, which hast given (Edmund Hooper)
- Editor: Christopher Shaw (submitted 2018-08-23). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 86 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Please click on the link for preview/playback/PDF download. This edition prepared from the Tudway collection and offered at source's pitch (ATTBB)
- Editor: Ross Jallo (submitted 2017-08-16). Score information: Letter, 9 pages, 222 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original key (ATTBB) and note values. Editorial accidentals and slurs added. This anthem is partially preserved in the Peterhouse Partbooks (the "Latter Caroline Set"). The Cantoris Contratenor II partbook and both the Decani and Cantoris Tenor partbooks are missing. Material from those parts is thus editorially reconstructed from the organ part (which, fortunately, is often substantial). As far as I can tell, this is the first modern edition of the piece.
- Editor: Ross Jallo (submitted 2017-08-16). Score information: Letter, 9 pages, 229 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original note values, transposed up a minor third (SAATB). Editorial accidentals and slurs added. (Other details as above.)
Title: Almighty God, which hast given
Composer: Edmund Hooper
Source: Peterhouse Partbooks (the "Latter Caroline Set") Description: This anthem is an adaptation of the Collect for Christmas Day from the Book of Common Prayer. It survives in manuscript form.
Original text and translations
Almighty God, which hast given us thy only begotten Son
to take our nature upon him, and to be born of a pure Virgin:
Grant that we, being regenerate,
and made thy children by adoption and grace,
may daily be renewed by thy Holy Spirit;
through the same our Lord Jesus Christ.