Alleluia. Ave Maria - Virga Jesse floruit (William Byrd)
- (Posted 2002-12-30) CPDL #04434: (Sibelius 4)
- Editor: David Fraser (submitted 2002-12-30). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 138 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Revised January 2008.
- (Posted 2002-05-30) CPDL #03649:
- Editor: Rupert Preston Bell (submitted 2002-05-30). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 59 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
Title: Alleluia - Ave Maria
Composer: William Byrd
Description: Alleluia for the Feast of the Annunciation during Paschal Time (which in fact hardly ever occurs). Replaced at other times by the tract Gaude Maria. Byrd also apparently intended the piece as the Alleluia for the Votive Mass of the Blessed Virgin during Paschal Time, but here the order of the verses Ave Maria and Virga Jesse is reversed – a reversal which cannot be done with the piece as written.