A Song for Saint Cecilia (Geoff Allan)
- Editor: Geoff Allan (submitted 2021-07-10). Score information: A4, 16 pages, 805 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: First Edition.
- If you like this piece and decide to perform it please send a recording to me, the composer. I would love to hear it.
First published: 2021
Description: A setting of the first verse of a poem to Saint Cecilia, the patron saint of music, by Joseph Addison (1672-1719) one line amended by me to make it a little more inclusive. Written in the hope of performance when amateur choirs are once again allowed to rehearse post covid-19.
Youtube score video address below
Original text and translations
Cecilia, whose exalted hymns
With joy and wonder fill the blest,
In choirs of warbling seraphims
Known and distinguish'd from the rest;
Attend, harmonious saint, and see
- This vocal band in harmony;
Attend, harmonious saint, and hear our prayers;
Enliven all our earthly airs,
And, as thou sing'st thy God, teach us to sing of thee:
Tune every string and every tongue,
Be thou the Muse and subject of our song.
- Original line : Thy vocal sons of harmony;