I walked in darkness (Kathryn Rose)
- Editor: Karol Jaworski (submitted 2021-12-03). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 74 kB Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes: Reformatted into short score to remove need for a piano reduction. Minor changes to rhythm notation for ends of phrases in three bars.
- Editor: Kathryn Rose (submitted 2014-05-26). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 86 kB Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes: This edition has a keyboard reduction, and corrects a word layout error present in the SATB-only edition.
- Editor: Kathryn Rose (submitted 2014-01-27). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 63 kB Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes:
Title: I walked in darkness
Composer: Kathryn Rose
Lyricist: Thomas Thurman
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Anthem
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 2014
Original text and translations
I walked in darkness. Many a lonely mile,
my eyes and footsteps hesitant and blind.
I sought a kindly light I did not find
in land or ocean, asking all the while
if lightless lives are taken in exchange
for light eternal; still the shades of sight
would whisper, "Even I shall see the light!"
I never thought the light would look so strange.
Not in a temple, echoing and awed,
Nor in a palace, glistening and grand,
Nor in my home, nor any friendly land.
But distant, dirty, in a shed abroad,
I met a maiden bloody from a birth
and in her arms, the light of all the earth.