Deus tuorum militum (2nd setting) (John Sheppard)
- (Posted 2020-03-26)
- CPDL #57707: Transposed down a fifth from the high clef pitch for STTBarB:
- CPDL #57706: Transposed down a minor third for SAATB:
- Editor: Jason Smart (submitted 2020-03-26). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 287 kB Copyright: CC BY NC ND
- Edition notes: Edited from the Tudor manuscript sources. Note values halved.
- Editor: David Fraser (submitted 2013-10-24). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 155 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This edition retains the original note values and high clef pitch. The Bass part in this edition is the one reconstructed by the editors of Tudor Church Music vi, but the missing part has since been found.
Manuscript ca. 1575 in The Baldwin Partbooks, no. 83
Description: An alternatim setting (even verses) of a hymn for the Common of a Martyr. It survives with conflicting attributions to Sheppard and Tallis, but on stylistic and other grounds it is more likely to be the work of Sheppard.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Deus tuorum militum.