- (Posted 2022-08-03) CPDL #70258:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2022-08-03). Score information: A5, 1 page, 46 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from New Songs of Paradise, 1916. All five stanzas included.
Title: Christ is the Way
First Line: Christ the way! in exaltation
Composer: Charles A. Tindley, Jr.
Lyricist: Charles Albert Tindley
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 87. 87. 10 9. 10 9
First published: 1916 in New Songs of Paradise, no. 20
Description: A gospel hymn. Perhaps more appropriate for a choir than for a congregation.
Original text and translations
1. Christ the way; in exaltation;
Though He stands on heights aflame;
Glorious in transfiguration,
He is always meek the same.
He is the way to prefect salvation,
He is the way to mansions above;
His is the first of the new creation,
Pattern of truth and fullness of love.
2. Christ the way; in self-denial;
Fasting in the wilderness;
He endured the tempter’s trial,
Stood unmoved, the three-fold test,
3. Christ the way; when others wronged Him;
Though He had not done amiss;
Judas, with pretended virtue,
Sold his Master for a kiss.
4. Jesus, while the soldiers tied Him,
'Mid the rabble’s hiss and jeer;
Begged the freedom they denied Him,
Just to heal a human ear.
5. Christ the way! Amid afflictions;
Cursed and bruised in Pilate’s halls;
False accused and contradicted,
Lamb of God, He bore it all.