Alleluja! Lobet den Herren (Psalm 150), SWV 38 (Heinrich Schütz)
- Editor: Philip Legge (submitted 2006-03-13). Score information: A4, 56 pages, 369 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Full score; vocal scores (choirs 1&2, 3&4) and orchestral parts also available. Revised 8 April 2006.
- Editor: Philip Legge (submitted 2006-03-13). Score information: A4, 24 pages, 216 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: This is the main vocal score, as choirs 3 and 4 are the principal choirs; they include 8 solo parts for pairs of S, A, T, and B, described as coro favoriti. These parts may be sung equally well by a semi-chorus rather than solo voices. Revised 8 April 2006.
(Posted 2006-03-13) *(Posted 2006-03-13) CPDL #11234:
- Editor: Philip Legge (submitted 2006-03-13). Score information: A4, 22 pages, 215 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Choirs 1 and 2 in the full score, the Capella consists of 8 extra choral parts doubled by orchestra; the ranges of the outermost soprano and bass parts are challenging, but provide greater sonority to the whole. In a performance with orchestra, some or all of these lines may be doubled as required. The vocal score includes the solo favoriti parts for reference: e.g. if a solo favoriti singer happens to be singing in the Capella for the tutti sections. Revised 28 April 2006.
- Editor: Philip Legge (submitted 2006-03-13). Score information: A4, 57 pages, 669 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: trumpet parts are supplied in B flat; the alternate parts for violins/flute are untransposed, and should be used for cornettos. Revised 28 May 2006 to reduce file size.
- Basso continuo, pp. 1-11
- Flute, pp. 12-15 – 5th stave of full score
- Bassoon 1 – see Bass Trombone 1
- Bassoon 2 – see Bass Trombone 2
- Trumpet in B flat 1, pp. 16-19 – 1st stave of full score
- Trumpet in B flat 2, pp. 20-22 – 2nd stave of full score
- Trumpet in B flat 3, pp. 23-26 – 3rd stave of full score
- Trumpet in B flat 4, pp. 27-30 – 5th stave of full score
- Alto Trombone, pp. 31-34 – 6th stave of full score
- Tenor Trombone, pp. 35-38 – 7th stave of full score
- Bass Trombone 1, pp. 39-42 – 4th stave of full score
- Bass Trombone 2, pp. 43-46 – 8th stave of full score
- Violin 1, pp. 47-50 – 1st stave of full score
- Violin 2, pp. 51-53 – 2nd stave of full score
- Violin 3, pp. 54-57 – 3rd stave of full score
Title: Alleluja! Lobet den Herren in seinem Heiligtum, SWV 38
Alternate Title: Der 150. Psalm
Composer: Heinrich Schütz
Larger Work: Psalmen Davids, SWV 22–47
Number of voices: 8 or 16vv Voicings: SATB.SATB or SSAB.SATB.SATB.SATB, (1) - Soloists or semi-chorus; or (2) - Four choirs
Genre: Sacred, Motet
Instruments: Orchestra: flute, 2 bassoons, 4 cornettos, 4 trombones, 3 violins, basso continuo
First published: 1619 in Psalmen Davids, Op. 2, no. 17
2nd published: 1887 in Heinrich Schütz: Sämtliche Werke, Volume 3, no. 4
3rd published: 1981 in Neue Schütz-Ausgabe, Volume 25, no. 1
Description: This psalm setting from Schütz's mighty collection, the first volume of Psalmen Davids, clearly shows the influence of Schütz's time in Venice under the tutelage of Giovanni Gabrieli. The piece may be performed in a myriad of ways: firstly, as an 8–part choral work with basso continuo for accompaniment; as an 8–part choral work with 8 accompanying instruments and basso continuo; or as a 16–part choral work with basso continuo, SATB–SATB semi-chorus or soloists, with or without obbligato instruments! (Or some other combination of obbligato and orchestral instruments and solo and concerted voices, as a variation on the above.)
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Psalm 150.
Der 150. Psalm
- Alleluja! Lobet den Herren in seinem Heiligtum, lobet ihn in der Feste seiner Macht.
- Lobet ihn in seinen Taten, lobet ihn in seiner großen Herrlichkeit.
- Lobet ihn mit Posaunen, lobet ihn mit Psaltern und Harfen.
- Lobet ihn mit Pauken und Reigen, lobet ihn mit Saiten und Pfeifen.
- Lobet ihn mit hellen Cymbalen, lobet ihn mit wohl klingenden Cymbalen.
- Alles was Athem hat, lobe den Herrn. Alleluja!
- Philip Legge editions
- Heinrich Schütz compositions
- 8-part choral music
- 16-part choral music
- Sacred music
- Works in German
- Orchestra accompaniment
- Flute accompaniment
- Trombone accompaniment
- Violin accompaniment
- Basso continuo
- 1619 works
- 1887 works
- 1981 works
- German texts
- Sheet music
- Instrumental music
- Baroque music